Sunday, December 11, 2011

The Best for Last: To Ireland We Go! Slainte!


Sara, Nick and Grace! On our way to Glendalough! 
As the final destination on my eurotrip 2011, I headed all the way over to Dublin, Ireland to visit one of my best friends from home, who is interning there for the semester! WEEEE HI SARA! Also, I had to do this trip for Kristen, whose heart is still missing Ireland. and MAN was it a trip.
I've noticed myself having to use several disclaimers so this time, I am just going to take a different approach. Let's be honest: the Irish are known for their incredible alcohol tolerance so of course ours had to put to the test. We experience the Irish way of life many a night. Fun times, or Good Craic as they say. 
SO for this blog- seeing as these pictures really do speak for themselves- I am going to do minimal typing and more descriptive captions on the photos. 
I will say that it aside from Greece, it was my favorite trip. It was incredible. The people were amazing- I think the friendliest in the world, seeing my best friend was great. Everyone spoke english which was a nice change (funny to say speaking english is a change), the streets were full of life and culture and everywhere I turned I fell more in love. I of course fell in love with an Irish man, or maybe a few. 
The very first day we took a trip into the countryside to Gledalough, Ireland and it was the most beautiful place I have EVER been. Seriously, everywhere I turned looked like a picture in a book or a postcard. It was this great feeling to be there- I just wanted to wander and get lost in the wilderness. It was incredible. The grass really is 40 shades of green and the water the deepest blue you could ever imagine. The roads wound all through the countryside. It was so peaceful and quiet and just the most absolute perfect place I have ever been. 
For Saturday and Sunday we stayed within Dublin- exploring all the ins and outs. All the big streets, like Henry, Dame and Grafton were just the most culture rich places! With expensive designers (yes, I went into every single one until Grace drove me out to prevent expensive purchases) and street entertainment there was something to enjoy around every corner. It was AWESOME. I could spend hours there every day. The little cafes were so characteristic. We also visited the Guinness Factory which was AWESOME! At the very top, at the Gravity Bar, you can see all of Dublin. Its beautiful. We visited Temple Bar which is just streets filled with characteristic bars and pubs. Certainly a good time!!!
The last day we ventured to Howth, a beautiful coastal area that reminded me of Maine! There I met some seals and ONE WAVED AT ME AND I DIED. I even got it on video!!! I wanted to bring them home. They were just swimming in the ocean! And they have just gotten so used to seeing people that now they are so friendly! We ate THE BEST fish and chips I have ever had in my life, and I'm a tough critic. There are beautiful cliffs there that you can walk along for hours. 
Of course, that leads to the great finale of the story: somehow on the train back to Dublin, at 1:30, we realized our flight left the airport at 3:00 not 5:00. THAT WAS INSANITY. We must have paid one million dollars for a cab driver from the station to the airport. We ran as fast as we could (me and my newly broken toe) through the airport, only to get to the gate RIGHT IN TIME for the man to tell me my bag was too big and it would have to be checked. Whelp, I batted my eyelashes a few times and somehow, he said "alright just go, don't worry about it." THANK GOD.
Needless to say, we made the flight. It was a phenomenal last trip.
 That was when I realized though- the next time I will be on an airplane is when I am flying home to Boston. BROKEN HEART BROKEN HEART.

Now, please enjoy the photos. 






Guinness River?

This is the road I want to walk down

SARA :)





Grace proposing to me on the P.S. I Love You bridge- only my favorite movie.... I  was thrilled.


one of the most beautiful views in the world









What's wrong with this picture? (there are a few)

in the center of Dublin- the famous Spire! 

DUBLIN

River Liffey 
Trinity College

haiiii Trinity 


the famous Cafe en-Seine! 

one of the bog bodies- people were buried in the countryside under all the 

St. Stephen's Green


the head Park Constable- we were best friends.








some of our foreign lovers. JOE. 

Porterhouse Irish Pub

River Liffey at night

Gogarty's! 


we saw an Occupy thing- SUPER COOL.

Queen of Tart's cafe! WORLD FAMOUS- most delicious food 






Dublin Castle! 


Molly Malone! 

baby guinness shots mmmmmm

my baby seal friend

me waving at  the seal's

beautiful Howth








LOVE YOU DUBLIN. 

No comments:

Post a Comment